Wednesday, April 3, 2024

 GOD is everything we need. 

But He still is not enough!


I read a tweet, yesterday, by a woman whose profile picture was obviously taken on her wedding day. She had a smile as wide as the sea. Joy, contentment, and happiness were beaming in the countenance of her expression. She tweeted, “If GOD is truly in your heart then you have all you need to be happy.”  No, dear happy bride, this is not true. I understand the sentiment behind this, and there is some truth to it, however, GOD created the human body to need some things in conjunction with Him. He can provide them, but He can’t be them.  GOD provides a man’s hand to sign one’s paycheck.  GOD provides a man to manage a grocery store, a human to run the electric plant, to manage the infrastructure of our cities and towns, etc. GOD provided a man, Jesus, to die for us so that we could have a Life with Him in Heaven.

GOD, however, did  create the human body to need/crave some things innately.  We need water, we need food, to live, and we need sex.  GOD created this innate desire in humans and the animal kingdom for procreation.  He also created our craving for sex to keep a husband and wife as one flesh, to keep intimacy in the marriage, which anyone will tell you is the basis of a successful marriage. He commands that we not deny each other.



Wives and husbands, if you are under the authority of the LORD, you have no right to deny your spouse what GOD created to turn you into one-flesh.  The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband.  1 Corinthians 7:3. Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourself to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.  1 Corinthians 7:5  There are seasons in our lives when GOD will take it away, usually to cause us to lean more on him, and to not let us make an idol of sex because it is so pleasurable. (When done right)  There are some that GOD gifts with asexuality; without feeling of sexual desire or the desire to be one-flesh with another.   The Apostle, Paul saw it as a gift to be asexual. He was content to be intimate with GOD alone and that was GOD's doing, also.  


There is something else we need that GOD cannot do Himself and that is, be in a relationship with another human, the species of our own kind.  GOD is GOD, the Holy Spirit is GOD, Jesus is GOD, so GOD has a relationship within Himself, with His own kind.  As GOD is relational, so has He created us in His image, needing relations.  Even King Solomon who had a thousand wives, realized the importance of relational intimacy between two people is vital for life. Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor; If either of them falls down, one can help the other up. But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.  Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three (human-Jesus-human) is not quickly broken.

There are times in our lives that GOD ordains for us to be alone, some longer than others, and some for a lifetime. This is such a time for me. This is the time when I do nothing but seek Him for His purpose and will for my life. Like Hannah whose husband gave her a double portion because he loved her more, GOD has given me a double portion of Him, and for that I’m grateful, however, like Hannah, as good as it is, it's still not enough.  I am very unhappy right now.  I totally understand David when he said, “restore unto me the joy of Your salvation.”  I was married for thirty years and GOD took that husband away, not far enough, but away nonetheless.  He has not provided me with another husband, which goes against His Word.  Yes, I need GOD, He has everything I need in His Hand, but He is withholding from me what I need as a human, as a woman and that is love from a spouse.  Happiness is another physical craving ALL humans need to live.  Wrap your brain around that one. We spend our entire lives in search of it, chasing it, or trying to attain it, no matter what it takes. It too is a physical need. Happiness is what the brain uses to produce serotonin and dopamine, the happy neurotransmitters and yes, we need them lest we die of despair, and that is the basis behind the suicide rate.

  So, GOD is not all we need to be happy, GOD is the foundation of all we need to be happy. Only GOD can bring these things to us. He must be the reason for it, encompassed in it, and the GOD over it. GOD will give you all you need, yes, even happiness, but in His due time for His due purpose and with only His power. I used to wonder if happiness was something truly ordained by GOD, because happiness seems to have eluded me all of my life. There is a vast difference between being joyful, which I am most times, and being happy.  Being happy would cause me the desire to remain here in this life, as opposed to wanting to depart to my heavenly home much more, which is what I long for now. There is a work for me to do, and my having never been truly happy has everything to do with it. For most of my life, I thought life was meant to be all about suffering for the cause, bearing our burdens, carrying our cross.  All those are part of living designed by GOD, but as I found out near fifteen years ago, so is happiness.  Here is what I have seen: it is good and fitting for one to eat and drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labor in which he toils under the sun all the days of his life which GOD gives him; for it is his heritage. Ecclesiastes 5:18  Life here is supposed to be enjoyable, not just joyful.  If that is His Word and His Will, then, I'll wait and I will try doing it with less tears and complaining. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

    Take it to the proper place, Facebook!       Everyone says never to air our dirty laundry publicly on Facebook or social media, but I th...